How do I find the right place to manage my pain?

The first step is to talk to your primary care provider. The simplest way to treat pain is to figure out what the cause is, and to treat the cause. Some types of pain become chronic, where they do not respond to the usual treatments. In those cases, it may be helpful to see a pain management specialist. Your primary care provider may have someone that he or she can recommend. Otherwise, you may want to look up pain management specialists that work at the nearby university hospitals. Typically, these programs are involved in teaching and research and stay up-to-date with new developments. In that setting, you can also meet other patients, doctors, nurses, and therapists, who may be able to tell you where you can get a second opinion, if you would like.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Exercise Your Pain Away
How to Exercise Your Pain Away
Pain and heart trouble are tangled together. “Silent” heart disease may first show up as unexplained aches and pains that people never mention to thei...
What should I consider before using topical pain relievers?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
There are a few important points to consider if you decide to try topical pain relievers.Discuss thi...
What treatments can ease breast pain?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
The following are suggestions for reducing breast pain if you have a normal mammogram: Wear a su...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?