What should I do before agreeing to surgery for my painful condition?

If your doctor claims surgery is the only way for you to live pain-free, then do some homework ahead of time to make sure you have the most qualified surgeon and reputable facility. Surgery is just the beginning of your process to resolve pain. There’s still a lot of work ahead as you prepare for the procedure and follow the rehabilitation plan after surgery. In some cases, serious risks are involved, such as bleeding, blood clots, or even an adverse result from the surgery. Make sure you understand this ahead of time and are willing to accept any risks involved. 
The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program

Are you one of the 80 million North American women suffering from the chronic pain of:* Menstrual cramps* Fibromyalgia* Headaches * Carpal tunnel syndrome* Back or neck pain?Starting today, you can...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
What are the best strategies to reduce stress and relieve pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Humor can help reduce stress to relieve pain. In this video, Devi Nampiaparampil, MD, chief of pain ...
How can I use progressive muscle relaxation to relieve pain?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
This exercise involves contracting and then relaxing all the different muscle groups in the body...
How Can Changing My Lifestyle Help Ease My Pain?