Will I get addicted to pain relievers if I have avascular necrosis?

Fear of addiction is a very common concern for people with severe pain. There is a difference between requiring more pain medication because of more severe pain and requiring more pain medication because you are addicted. But, managing your pain and your concern for addictions are important issues and it's worth talking to your doctor about them - or you may want to ask for a referral to a pain management center. These doctors and nurses are experts at treating pain. Since Lortab is short acting, you may want to ask your doctor about using a long acting medication that will provide relief throughout the day.  There are also other medications, such as Neurontin and Lyrica that are FDA approved to treat nerve pain but are sometimes prescribed off-label in more complex pain cases. However, these medications also have side effects that you may not be comfortable with - you'll need to talk to your doctor more about the risks and benefits of these medications and whether or not they are a good option for you.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
Did you know it takes 70,000 to 250,000 purple saffron crocuses to make one pound of the amber-red seasoning (it’s made from dried stigma, the part of...
What side effects should be reported to my doctor after a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
It is possible that serious side effects may occur following a spinal injection procedure. Call your...
What will happen when I check in for my spinal injection?
On the day of your spinal injection, you should arrive a little early to fill out any necessary pape...
A No-Pill Pain Solution
A No-Pill Pain Solution