How is a woman’s pain different from a man’s pain?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
Whether from migraines, menstrual cramps, or childbirth, women experience pain in ways that men cannot. In fact, in a Gallup survey of 2,002 adults over the age of 18, researchers reported that 46 percent of women said they had pain daily. In studies presented at the Second International Conference on Women's Health, researchers concluded that women report more pain, more intense pain, and more painful conditions than men do. Researchers also found that women are less likely to receive adequate treatment. For many women, pain is cyclical. We know that women are much more sensitive than men because of the brain chemistry ebbs and flows caused by the rise and fall of hormones during the menstrual period. For instance, studies show that women who report more pain during the premenstrual period (PMS) are more sensitive to pain than women who don’t experience PMS.

Continue Learning about Pain

Anxious? Neurotic? It May Affect How You Process Pain
Pain is your body’s way of informing you that something’s not quite right. It can be dull or throbbing, aching or tingling. It can be short-term (acut...
What should I do if I have pain in my eye?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Pain around the eye is not normal. While many of the causes of nonspecific pain around the eye may n...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?