Why should I report physical pain to my doctor if I am an older adult?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
As an older adult, it is vital that you tell your doctor if you are experiencing pain since it can impact your health more than your advancing age or any diseases you may have. Persistent, unrelieved pain is a powerful predictor of depression, social isolation and even suicide. Conversely, addressing your pain will maximize your ability to remain active and engaged in life.

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
Do women feel pain more than men?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There is some new information that women may actually feel pain more often, or it may feel more ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?