Why might my calf hurt when I stand on my toes?

The pain in the back of your leg can be caused by either a calf strain or an Achilles strain. If the pain is higher up the leg, the pain is caused by a calf strain. Two main muscles make up the calf: the gastrocnemius and the soleus. These muscles are contracted when you go up on your toes. If the pain is farther down towards the foot, it could be caused by an Achilles tendon strain. The Achilles tendon extends from the calf muscles and attaches at the bottom of the heel. Pain can be experienced when you go up on your toes. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
What contributes to the way people experience pain emotionally?
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain AssociationNational Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
The emotional component of pain is multifactorial and includes past experiences, genetic factors, ge...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Are the Different Types of Back Pain?