When do symptoms of central pain syndrome usually first appear?

Symptoms of central pain syndrome can occur right after an injury or illness, or they can take much longer to appear. Sometimes the pain may not show up for months or, in some cases, years, long after it seems that a recovery has been made. This is most likely to happen when the pain is related to a stroke. This late appearance can make a diagnosis even more difficult.

Continue Learning about Pain

Anxious? Neurotic? It May Affect How You Process Pain
Pain is your body’s way of informing you that something’s not quite right. It can be dull or throbbing, aching or tingling. It can be short-term (acut...
What is acute pain?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Acute pain comes on suddenly and can be severe. For instance, if you live with constant back pain, y...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?