When should I worry about leg pain?

Leg pain can be a sign of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which occurs when a blood clot forms inside a vein. This situation can become life threatening when a clot gets loose and travels through the bloodstream, causing an embolism that can get stuck in the brain, heart, lungs or other area.

When to Worry: Is Your Leg Pain a Sign of DVT?

Green Zone: Lowest Risk -- You’ve been active or moving and have calf discomfort accompanied by swollen ankles. This combination is usually not a cause for concern and is most likely caused by a pulled muscle.

Yellow Zone: Medium Risk -- You’ve been sedentary, perhaps traveling and sitting in a confined position. In these situations, make sure you maintain healthy leg circulation by getting up every once in a while and moving around or simply moving your legs while seated.

Red Zone: Highest Risk -- If your leg gets red and warm, do this test: Take one hand and squeeze the back of your calf. If you experience pain, this could be a major red flag for deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Call your doctor, who will most likely order an ultrasound, a simple noninvasive test that will determine what’s going on.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Pain

Is Marijuana the Exit Drug Out of the Opioid Crisis?
As doctors, one of our primary responsibilities is to alleviate pain. Dr. Mike is an anesthesiologist and internist who, at the Cleveland Clinic, ran ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with central pain syndrome?
Probably the first and most important thing you can do for someone with central pain syndrome is to ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?