What is the purpose of physical pain?

Although physical pain is uncomfortable and difficult to deal with, it does serve a purpose. Think of a hand that is accidentally placed on a hot surface, only to be quickly removed. If physical pain did not exist, there would be no reason to remove the hand and save it from burning. Similar examples could be stated for physical pain due to illnesses like cancer that alert affected people when something has gone wrong inside the body.

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
What is the difference between good pain and bad pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Pain avoidance is a natural reaction to avoid a stimulus that is hurting you. The operative premise ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?