What is a functional problem of the body?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The body has a functional problem when it does not move correctly due to weakness, impaired range of motion, previous injury, or habitual movement patterns. Functional problems typically create pain and may cause physical changes to tissues.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
How should I talk to my doctor about my pain?
The type of pain you experience can offer clues to its cause. Keep these factors in mind when descri...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints