What would happen if we didn't feel pain?

A few unfortunate individuals have a congenital absence of pain sensation. They do not fare well due to repeated bodily insults that go unnoticed. People with an acquired deficiency in the pain sensation (e.g., diabetic neuropathy or neurosyphilis) can develop a severe destructive arthritis -- a result of repeated minor joint injuries that are overlooked. 

Continue Learning about Pain

Is Marijuana the Exit Drug Out of the Opioid Crisis?
As doctors, one of our primary responsibilities is to alleviate pain. Dr. Mike is an anesthesiologist and internist who, at the Cleveland Clinic, ran ...
How should I talk to my doctor about my pain?
The type of pain you experience can offer clues to its cause. Keep these factors in mind when descri...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints