What is the difference between good pain and bad pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Pain avoidance is a natural reaction to avoid a stimulus that is hurting you. The operative premise here is that it is hurting you. Quite often I need to educate my clients regarding "good" pain versus "bad" pain. The discomfort of a fatigued muscle feels different than the pain of a muscle strain or impinged joint -- pain that indicates injury. Learning to tell the difference between "good" pain (the temporary discomfort of retraining your body) and "bad" pain (pain that indicates injury) is important to your healing process.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What should I do if I have pain in my eye?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Pain around the eye is not normal. While many of the causes of nonspecific pain around the eye may n...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes