What is the difference between good and bad muscle pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Quite often I need to educate my clients regarding "good" pain versus "bad" muscle pain. The discomfort of a fatigued muscle feels different than the pain of a muscle strain or impinged joint-pain that indicates injury. Learning to tell the difference between "good" pain (the temporary discomfort of retraining your body) and "bad" pain (pain that indicates injury) is important to your healing process. Generally, what I'm referring to as "good" pain is a feeling of fatigue in the muscles or tissues you are exercising or trying to restore range of motion to.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
Could a negative attitude make me feel more pain?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
A negative attitude may cause people to sense more pain because they expect more pain. British and G...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Nurses Share Their Favorite At-Home Pain Solutions