What could cause my muscle pain in my shoulders?

Pain in your shoulders can come from several places.  If you have tendinitis in your rotator cuff or rotator cuff tears, it can cause pain.  Your bicep tendon also runs into your shoulder and can cause severe pain. Nerve damage in your neck can run into your shoulder and can cause shoulder pain as well. Over use of any overhead sports can also cause tears in your labrum.  Labrum tears cause a lot of pain in the shoulder.
Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Aching pain in the shoulders is often due to tendonitis of the rotator cuff tendons or rotator cuff tears. Injury to these muscles usually presents over the lateral deltoid muscle. If your pain is located at the base of your neck and in your trapezius muscle this is often due to your body trying to protect the shoulder and hold it close to the body causing the trapezius to spasm.

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with central pain syndrome?
Probably the first and most important thing you can do for someone with central pain syndrome is to ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes