What causes physical pain?

Physical pain occurs when something happens that injures or destroys tissue of the body. Nerves are body structures that are responsible for carrying messages to-and-from your brain. When an injury occurs--even one that causes no actual damage--a series of events happens that carries the pain message from nerves in the area of the injury, to nerves in your spinal cord, and finally, to nerves in your brain. Your brain is then able to tell you that something has been hurt, and whether the pain was sharp (a cut or jab) or dull (temperature or pressure).

Pain has only one function and that is to tell our body something is wrong. When it comes to physical pain, it may be related to dysfunctions in our postural and body alignment, over/under training, repetitive movements, and untreated injuries. We often take pain medications and simple therapies for relief, but do we correct the problem?

In another perspective, physical pain is also the body's way of telling us something that should be happening isn't happening; and the problem needs to be identify as to take corrective action. Action such as correcting postural and body alignment dysfunctions; offering relief from body aches and pain by restoring the body's musculoskeletal system, function, and health. 

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What is the gate control theory of pain?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Have you ever noticed that when you have stomach pain for example you feel it less when you're doing...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?