What causes pain?

The three main types of pain are neuropathic, nociceptive, and psychogenic. Neuropathic pain results from damage to the nerves, spine, or brain such as from a tumor or other condition. Nociceptive pain results from trauma to body tissues such as a bruise, burn, or broken bone. Psychogenic pain may be caused or made worse by psychological factors, which may or may not have an actual, physical source.

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What should I record about my pain experience before a visit to the doctor?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
Here is some information that a doctor or nurse might need to accurately evaluate your pain. Be...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?