What causes nipple pain?

Nipple pain can be normal. As the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body change (during a woman's cycle), nipple sensitivity can also change. Nipple pain can also be mechanical-- from friction with certain fabrics, for example.

If you feel a firm mass under the nipple, if you see any redness, discharge, or bleeding, or if you have any fevers or chills, it is worth getting checked by a healthcare provider. Women, usually those who are breastfeeding, can get mastitis, which is a type of infection. Others can have inflammatory conditions affecting the breast itself.

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What should I do if I have pain in my eye?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Pain around the eye is not normal. While many of the causes of nonspecific pain around the eye may n...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?