What causes kneecap pain?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
As you bend and straighten your knee, the patella (kneecap) rides up and down a groove in the front of the femur called the trochlea. This movement of the patella within the trochlea is referred to as patellar tracking. The patella is covered by the quadriceps tendon and is firmly attached to the strong quadriceps muscle. At the bottom, it connects to the tibia via the patellar tendon. A variety of conditions can throw off the patella's position and movement, causing pain and other symptoms.

Kneecap pain is common because your full body weight must ride smoothly up and down the interface between the thighbone and kneecap each time you step up or down. When something goes wrong, pain will quickly follow. In most patients, the reason for patelofemoral pain is unknown.

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
What is a pain management specialist?
A pain management specialist is a doctor who has completed training in the evaluation, diagnosis and...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?