What are common causes of chest pain in children?

As a parent, you may worry that your child’s chest pain is a sign of a heart condition. This is very rarely the case for children, in contrast to adults. More than 95 percent of children who have chest pain will not have a heart condition. 
Common causes of chest pain in children include the following: 
  • Musculoskeletal - irritated chest muscles, cartilage or ribs
  • Lungs - irritation of a lung’s membrane (pleuritic irritation) or asthma-related symptoms
  • Gastrointestinal - acid reflux, esophageal spasms, difficulty swallowing
  • Psychogenic - chest pain can be commonly associated with anxiety
  • Idiopathic - no specific cause can be found; this is the most common occurrence

Continue Learning about Pain

Is Marijuana the Exit Drug Out of the Opioid Crisis?
As doctors, one of our primary responsibilities is to alleviate pain. Dr. Mike is an anesthesiologist and internist who, at the Cleveland Clinic, ran ...
What causes non-cardiac chest pain?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
The two most common causes of non-cardiac chest pain (NCCP) are: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease ...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?