What are the symptoms of pain?

The symptoms of pain are difficult to describe because each person experiences pain differently. However, people with neuropathic pain typically experience a burning or tingling sensation or sensitivity to cold or touch. Nociceptive pain, which is the most common type of pain, gives an achy, sharp, or throbbing sensation. Hospital emergency departments often use a pain chart to help patients quickly identify their level of pain, from no pain at all through worst pain possible.

Continue Learning about Pain

He Feels, She Feels: How Pain Affects Men and Women Differently
Pain. It’s a fact of life. Burning, stabbing, throbbing, sharp, dull—these are some of the words people use to describe pain. But what exactly is pain...
What should I do if I have pain in my eye?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Pain around the eye is not normal. While many of the causes of nonspecific pain around the eye may n...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Nurses Share Their Favorite At-Home Pain Solutions