What are the symptoms of central pain syndrome?

Central pain syndrome is characterized by chronic pain that can be widespread or localized and range from moderate to serious. While most people describe the pain as a burning sensation, it can also feel like "pins and needles" from accompanied aching or pressing pains. Numbness, usually in the hands or feet, or occasional sharp pain has also been reported. Movement, touch, stress, and changes in temperature can increase the pain. While central pain syndrome typically appears soon following an illness or injury, it is not uncommon for it to begin several months and sometimes years later.

Continue Learning about Pain

Exercise & Pain
Exercise & Pain
When you live with chronic musculoskeletal pain, exercising might be the last thing you feel like doing. But it pays to keep moving. Workouts encourag...
As an older adult, how should I assess my pain before calling my doctor?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Self-assess your pain before speaking to your doctor. Rate your pain on an ascending scale of 0-...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
Use a Foam Roller to Stretch Knotted Sore Muscles