Do I need surgery for phantom limb pain?

Surgery is a last-resort option for phantom pain. Sometimes pain can be relieved by re-cutting the nerve endings at the amputation site, particularly if the pain was caused from the previous site becoming irritated. However, as with the first amputation procedure, it's possible that this surgery might result in pain, too. Deep brain stimulation is another form of surgery still being developed in which electrical treatment is directly applied to the areas of the brain that receive the pain sensations. Other techniques being developed include cryoanalgesia (freezing the nerves), motor cortex stimulation (using electrodes on the brain surface to change pain signals), and spinal cord stimulation (blocking pain by applying electrical current to a spot in the spinal cord).

Continue Learning about Pain

Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Is That Little Pain Life Threatening?
Has this ever happened to you? After toiling away at the computer all day or sitting for hours in traffic, you go to stand up and pain shoots up your ...
What are the different types of breast pain?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
There are two types of breast pain: Cyclical breast pain is the most common type of breast pain ...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?