How do I care for someone with phantom limb pain?

If you have a loved one suffering from phantom limb pain, the best thing you can do is be supportive. If they have mobility problems, help them when needed to go about their daily tasks. If they are getting a prosthetic limb, help them make sure they get a good fit. If their pain is lasting, encourage them to engage in the treatments and medications offered by medical institutions. Don't forget that the pain is real, not psychological; people who deal with phantom limb pain may be afraid to admit they have pain, especially to their healthcare providers. People who have had limb amputations can also feel isolated or depressed, so make sure your loved one stays active and has a strong network of friends; this will help distract them from the pain and also reassure them that they are not alone.

Continue Learning about Pain

Exercise & Pain
Exercise & Pain
When you live with chronic musculoskeletal pain, exercising might be the last thing you feel like doing. But it pays to keep moving. Workouts encourag...
What is the difference between good and bad muscle pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Quite often I need to educate my clients regarding "good" pain versus "bad" muscle pain. The discomf...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?