Can psychological factors determine how much pain I feel?

Although not very much acute pain is psychological in origin, psychology can have a large impact on how severely certain pain stimuli are experienced. Your current state - how you feel today, what you are thinking about generally, and what you think about the source of the pain - can make a difference. So do more entrenched features of your personality, such as influences from your family and culture, along with childhood experiences. Comparison with past experiences of pain can also amplify or mute your present pain

Continue Learning about Pain

5 Steps to Less Pain
5 Steps to Less Pain
Chronic pain comes in a variety of forms. Joint pain is a common one. If you suffer from stiff, achy joints, you're not alone. Twenty-seven million Am...
Should I talk to my doctor about my physical pain?
When deciding if you should see your doctor about your physical pain, remember that physical pain ca...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?