How can phantom pain with my prosthesis be treated?

Despite its name, phantom pain is real pain, but the sensation is that it is coming from the missing limb. Regular over-the-counter pain relievers may help or your doctor may give you prescription medication. Massage, ultrasound, or special pain-relieving devices may help also. Wearing your prosthesis (making sure that it fits well!) may help. Consult with your doctor about any pain, since there are many treatments available. You may be referred to a pain management specialist.

Continue Learning about Pain

5 Steps to Less Pain
5 Steps to Less Pain
Chronic pain comes in a variety of forms. Joint pain is a common one. If you suffer from stiff, achy joints, you're not alone. Twenty-seven million Am...
How can I prevent knee and hip pain from a sedentary lifestyle?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Set a timer to remind you to get up and move every 30 to 60 minutes. Stretches for hamstrings, quads...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes
5 Keys to Make Healthy Changes