Is phantom limb pain serious?

While phantom limb pain can be severe, it is not life-threatening. Most people who experience phantom limb pain directly after amputation surgery find that their pain goes away, often gradually, and it may take a year or more. When people experience long-term pain, it can be troublesome and interfere with quality of life, but with diligent treatment and support from friends and medical professionals, the pain can be manageable.

Continue Learning about Pain

He Feels, She Feels: How Pain Affects Men and Women Differently
Pain. It’s a fact of life. Burning, stabbing, throbbing, sharp, dull—these are some of the words people use to describe pain. But what exactly is pain...
How should I sleep to prevent shoulder and elbow pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Essentially, this boils down to experimenting with propping up or supporting your arm, shoulder, or ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?