Should I see a neurologist for calf pain and numbness in my foot?

You should see a neurologist for calf pain and numbness in the foot as these symptoms are suggestive of a pinched nerve in the lower back ("pinching" of the S1 nerve root commonly causes such symptoms).  A pinched nerve in the lower back is called a lumbar or lumbosacral radiculopathy and if left untreated can result in worsening low back and calf pain, persistent numbness of the foot and muscle weakness which manifests as the inability to stand on your toes.

Calf pain and foot numbness, if occuring in both feet, can be the presenting symptoms of a neuropathy.  Your neurologist can help determine the cause and treatment of neuropathy as to prevent worsening and disability.

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
What is breakthrough pain?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
Even when pain is controlled, people can experience episodes of pain -- breakthrough pain, also ...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Why Are Soft Tissue Injuries So Painful?