What lifestyle changes should I make for phantom limb pain?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Be as active as possible by exercising regularly, such as participating in swimming or walking. Talk to friends frequently and look for support groups in your area. Consider taking up a new hobby to distract your mind from pain. Experiment with relaxation techniques that work for you 

Follow your doctor's advice and take medications as prescribed. It is very important to maximize pain treatment options so that you can return to a functional lifestyle quickly.

You will also need to pay attention to stump care to reduce pain. Massage regularly or apply heat or ice.

Making lifestyle changes to help you cope with phantom limb pain can be important. Be as active as possible by exercising regularly, such as participating in swimming or walking. Talk to friends frequently and look for support groups in your area. Consider taking up a new hobby to distract your mind from pain. Experiment with relaxation techniques that work for you. Follow your doctor's advice and take medications as prescribed. It is very important to maximize pain treatment options so that you can return to a functional lifestyle quickly. You will also need to pay attention to stump care to reduce pain. Massage regularly; try gently tapping along the scar, and rubbing the scar and stump gently with soft cotton or linen cloth. Keeping the remaining part of the limb warm may also help.

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
What is a pain management specialist?
A pain management specialist is a doctor who has completed training in the evaluation, diagnosis and...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Do I Identify Pre-Pain Symptoms to Avoid Chronic Pain?