How should I treat muscle or joint pain in my child?

When muscle and joint pain arises, some parents will give their kids anti-inflammatory medications before practices or games so they don’t miss any playing time. The problem is, these medications only block the chemical process that produces inflammatory pain, so continuing the activity simply puts more stress on the already-injured tissue. By masking important symptoms, kids run the risk of experiencing more extensive injuries and more time away from the action. Ice is preferable to anti-inflammatories as a first-line treatment for pain after injury or activity.

Continue Learning about Pain

What to Give a Child for Pain
What to Give a Child for Pain
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has published a warning against giving the opioid codeine to children in the journal Pediatrics, published in...
What should I record about my pain experience before a visit to the doctor?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
Here is some information that a doctor or nurse might need to accurately evaluate your pain. Be...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Are Some Effective Exercises for Chronic Back Pain?