How can my sedentary lifestyle cause me to have shoulder pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Gravity comes into play, especially with our inactive lifestyles, which allow the scapulae (shoulder blades) to gradually be pulled down. If you think about it, we rarely have opportunities to raise our arms overhead. Many ergonomic controls in industrial settings are actually designed to eliminate overhead motions -- to the detriment of scapular function. As our arms work below shoulder height for longer and longer periods of time, our shoulder blades lose their fight with gravity and are pulled downward. This lengthens the trapezius, making it weaker as well.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Pain

Anxious? Neurotic? It May Affect How You Process Pain
Pain is your body’s way of informing you that something’s not quite right. It can be dull or throbbing, aching or tingling. It can be short-term (acut...
What is physical pain?
Pain is a sensation caused by a certain type of message being sent through the nervous system. Physi...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?