How do I prevent phantom limb pain?

Preventing phantom limb pain may be difficult, but some methods hold promise. Treatment should be started as soon as possible. For those who have had limb pain prior to amputation, a doctor may choose to inject an epidural to stop all pain before surgery, which may help with pain into the future. Some drugs that have been proposed to help phantom limb pain prevention include ketamine and calcitonin. Although its method of action as a painkiller is unknown, calcitonin relieves pain when given intravenously after surgery. Ketamine is an anesthetic drug that may also be effective for pain prevention when given after amputation.

Continue Learning about Pain

For the Best Pain Relief, Give Someone a Hug
Some days, all you need to feel better is a giant hug, and science agrees. Research scientists from the University of Colorado Boulder and the Univers...
Should I talk to my doctor about my physical pain?
When deciding if you should see your doctor about your physical pain, remember that physical pain ca...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Are the Different Types of Back Pain?