How is physical pain diagnosed?

Doctors evaluate physical pain using a combination of questions and a physical examination. They might need to know what the pain feels like (aching, burning, throbbing, etc.), how long the pain has been present, and how bad the pain hurts. A scale of 0 to10 is often used to describe how bad pain hurts, with 0 being no pain and 10 being severe pain. When doctors ask about your pain, they are often trying to diagnose a specific illness or injury. They may have to feel or move areas of your body around the pain to help them diagnose the problem.

Continue Learning about Pain

Getting Flexible for Drug-Free Pain Relief
Just how important is stretching? "Super important," says Sharecare fitness expert Wendy Batts. That's why flexibility exercises—like yoga, tai chi an...
How should I talk to my doctor about my pain?
The type of pain you experience can offer clues to its cause. Keep these factors in mind when descri...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?
Can Certain Foods Alleviate Pain?