How can a depressed shoulder cause pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
One of the biggest culprits causing shoulder pain is a shoulder blade (scapula) that sits too low on the trunk (depressed shoulder). When this happens, the scapula has a difficult time elevating because it must climb out of the hole it started in. It also won't rotate or abduct properly.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Pain

Reduce the Risk of Accidental Pain Medication Overdose
Last October the chronically injured former NFL safety Tyler Sash died from an accidental overdose after mixing two powerful pain medications. Unfortu...
What causes referred pain?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Referred pain results when a nerve is irritated or injured. When this happens, often the entire leng...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?