What do I need to know about caring for someone with central pain syndrome?

Probably the first and most important thing you can do for someone with central pain syndrome is to recognize that the pain is not imagined-it is real and can be severe. Not only can it be severe, it is chronic and may be widespread. The slightest movement, lightest touch, or change in temperature can increase the pain. Make sure that they work with their doctor to find treatments that will lessen the pain. Encourage them to try physical therapy and work on reducing stress, as these have both been shown to help with pain management.

Continue Learning about Pain

Getting Flexible for Drug-Free Pain Relief
Just how important is stretching? "Super important," says Sharecare fitness expert Wendy Batts. That's why flexibility exercises—like yoga, tai chi an...
What should I discuss with my doctor about my shoulder pain?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
When you go to your doctor, provide as much information as you can, and don't be afraid to ask quest...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Are Some Effective Exercises for Chronic Back Pain?