How can I prevent knee and hip pain from a sedentary lifestyle?

Set a timer to remind you to get up and move every 30 to 60 minutes. Stretches for hamstrings, quads and calves are helpful. Walking for 10 to 15 minutes (outdoors, up/down the stairs, around the office) during lunch would also help. You can also do leg raises at your workstation every hour or so to keep your muscles limber and the blood flowing.

Dr. George P. Cautilli, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

People can do a few things to help avoid having knee and hip pain. Losing weight is important. Our country is in the midst of a huge obesity problem, and that puts a lot of stress on joints -- one of the starting factors for hip and knee pain. You should also stretch before and after any physical activities, including walking. Those are the main things that you can do to keep yourself in good physical shape for the tasks at hand.

Knee and hip pain due to a sedentary lifestyle or work environment is common and most likely is associated with muscle imbalances and lack of flexibility. Consultation with your doctor and a health and fitness professional is critical for treatment and/or prevention of these problems.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy Specialist

To help prevent knee pain when sitting, periodically check how you are bearing weight while sitting in your chair. Is one cheek loaded more than another? Is one leg rotated inward? Does one hip seem to be more hiked up than the other? When bending down to sit, are one or both knees collapsing in? How about when standing up: do your knees briefly drift in together? If so, begin fixing these problems.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
What is pain?
Mihaela B. Taylor, MDMihaela B. Taylor, MD
Pain is a sensation of physical suffering. It can range from mild to excruciating, depending on how ...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
How Can I Determine What Kind of Back Pain I Have?