How can I describe my pain to the doctor?

Pain is painful. Because there is no test that can determine how much pain you have, it’s important to communicate openly with your doctor about the level of pain with different activities and the type of pain you feel such as dull, aching, pinching, or throbbing. For instance, does your pain worsen when you walk? Do you feel more or less pain with normal activities of daily living, such as dressing, cooking, and household chores? Does the pain affect your sleep? Does the pain hinder you at work or at social engagements? Let your doctor know when you have no pain or little pain and when your pain is the worst pain imaginable. Talking openly about your pain will enable your doctor to adjust any medications you are taking, as well as see if your prosthesis needs adjusting.

Continue Learning about Pain

Exercise & Pain
Exercise & Pain
When you live with chronic musculoskeletal pain, exercising might be the last thing you feel like doing. But it pays to keep moving. Workouts encourag...
How can I prevent knee and hip pain from a sedentary lifestyle?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Set a timer to remind you to get up and move every 30 to 60 minutes. Stretches for hamstrings, quads...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Are the Different Types of Back Pain?