Could my facial pain be caused by something besides neuralgia?

Just because you are experiencing facial pain doesn't mean you are suffering from neuralgia. In fact, there are several other conditions that could be causing your discomfort. For example, a number of dental problems can result in facial pain as well as a condition known as trigeminal neuropathy. Other possible causes include broken bones and infections. In order to confidently diagnose neuralgia your doctor may need to run several test in an effort to rule out other possibilities first. Pain could be an indicator of any number of things.

Facial pain can be caused by a number of things. The most common cause of facial or head pain is a tooth ache and the next most common cause is muscle related pain. Other known causes are infections, inflammation, cancer, broken bones, broken or inflamed blood vessels, and nerve related pain.

It can be challenging for a doctor to find out where pain is coming from in the head. A thorough history of the pain and examination as well as other tests may be required to diagnose the cause of the pain.

Continue Learning about Pain

He Feels, She Feels: How Pain Affects Men and Women Differently
Pain. It’s a fact of life. Burning, stabbing, throbbing, sharp, dull—these are some of the words people use to describe pain. But what exactly is pain...
What will a doctor want to know about my acute pain?
Acute pain can be caused by a wide variety of conditions, some of which are inherently dangerous. If...
Aches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
Aches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never IgnoreAches and Pains You Should Never Ignore
What's your body trying to tell you?
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?