Is there a cure for phantom limb pain?

There is no definitive cure for phantom limb pain. Some people's pain goes away on its own after only a short period of time. Persistent pain can be harder to cure; however, there are many methods available for relief. Medications like anticonvulsants, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, ketamine, calcitonin, and barbiturates may help. Electric nerve stimulation, manipulation, sensory training, and education in the use of an artificial limb have also been shown to help alleviate pain.

Continue Learning about Pain

Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
Breaking Free From Pain and Stress
More than 126 million U.S. adults reported experiencing pain in the previous three months according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Pain—25.3 millio...
How is the pain from central pain syndrome different than normal pain?
The pain caused by nerve damage is very different from the pain that most of us have experienced. Ce...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?