How can I know if my muscle pain is from taking a statin?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
When I have patients on statin drugs with muscle pain I do two things.  I will check a muscle enzyme level called CPK to see if the medication is causing muscle damage. I will also have them stop the medication to see if their pain goes away.  If you are having severe muscle pain and you are on a statin it is very important that you contact your physician right away and stop the medication if there is a chance that the pain is caused by the drug.
Joseph Saseen, PharmD
Cholesterol Management
The blood tests, CPK or more commonly refered to as CK (creatine kinase) can be measured. It is an enzyme that is normally found in the blood and is a marker of muscle breakdown. Very high levels in patients on a statin are an indicator of serious muscle side effects from a statin. However, do not be alarmed if you have a small elevatin in CK, since vigorous aerobic exercise or weight training can typically result in an elevation in CK, even without statin drug therapy. So, the CK value has to be very elevated for it to be from your statin drug.

Continue Learning about Pain

Getting Flexible for Drug-Free Pain Relief
Just how important is stretching? "Super important," says Sharecare fitness expert Wendy Batts. That's why flexibility exercises—like yoga, tai chi an...
How is the pain from central pain syndrome different than normal pain?
The pain caused by nerve damage is very different from the pain that most of us have experienced. Ce...
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter6 Ways to Stay Pain Free This Winter
Ease irritated joints and avoid cold-weather injuries with these expert-approved tips.
What Are Some Effective Exercises for Chronic Back Pain?