Why does regional pain in the spinal joints and discs get worse over time?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
Regional pain (localized muscle pain) progresses well beyond the simple uncomfortable achiness and soreness. When joint- or disc-related regional pain occurs, a severe toothlike or stabbing pain is felt almost constantly throughout the region. Then, if the combination of inflammation and restriction lasts long enough or becomes severe enough, they quickly lead to the second pattern, called referred pain (when the nerves that surround your joints or discs become irritated to the point that they affect a distant area).
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

When is neck or back pain a sign of a serious medical condition?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
On very rare occasions, neck or lower back pain can be a sign of a serious underlying medical co...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...
When is surgery the best option for joint pain?
When it comes to joint injuries, healing with steel is not the first choice. The major benefit of su...