When is neck or back pain a sign of a serious medical condition?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
On very rare occasions, neck or lower back pain can be a sign of a serious underlying medical condition. In these instances, the pain is usually preceded by identifiable symptoms or events that will alert you to the possibility of a serious medical problem. These warning signs or symptoms are red flags, and you should know what they are right from the start. To determine if your back pain is a warning sign, check if you've had any of the following:

• Significant recent trauma
  • A history of osteoporosis
  • A history of cancer
  • A history of diabetes
  • A history of kidney complications
  • Pain that is worse at night or when you're lying down
  • Unexplained fevers
  • Unexplained weight loss or gain
  • Bowel or bladder complications
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Joint pain and stiffness can be prevented. Watch the video to see what you can do now to preserve fl...
What is an inflammatory effect?
Your body doesn't just form allies or fight enemies based on how many calories a particular food has...
How common is central pain syndrome?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...