What are the two types of psychogenic pain?

There are two types of psychogenic pain: acute and chronic. Acute psychogenic pain has a sudden onset and lasts for a brief period of time. Chronic psychogenic pain is ongoing and may last days, weeks, months, or even years. With acute psychogenic pain, generally no treatment is needed. Chronic psychogenic pain requires some types of medical treatment.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...
How is inflammation of the pudendal nerve treated?
Juan P. Villablanca, MDJuan P. Villablanca, MD
Inflammation of the pudendal nerve (a main nerve in the pelvis) can be treated with an injection of ...
How common is central pain syndrome?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...
How do other illnesses affect central pain syndrome?
Central pain syndrome is not a condition without cause. It is the result of an illness or injury tha...