What is visceral pain?

Visceral pain (internal body pain) is pain felt on the inside of the body. It originates at nerve receptors called nociceptors and travels up the spine to send pain signals to the brain. Because there are fewer nociceptors in the internal organs as compared to those in the skin and muscles, visceral pain is often diffuse and hard to pinpoint. Visceral pain is most severe in the intestines, bladder, and uterus.

Visceral pain comes from your internal organs (stomach, colon, etc). This type of pain is more difficult for your brain to locate because visceral pain is much less common and the nerve circuits are more complex. Visceral pains from pancreatitis or hepatitis may require lifelong treatment. Other kinds, such as pain from gallstones or appendicitis, may require surgery.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

When is neck or back pain a sign of a serious medical condition?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
On very rare occasions, neck or lower back pain can be a sign of a serious underlying medical co...
What is an inflammatory effect?
Your body doesn't just form allies or fight enemies based on how many calories a particular food has...
What is rebound tenderness?
Christina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DOChristina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DO
Rebound tenderness (also called the Blumberg Sign) is a nonspecific clinical sign that a doctor may ...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...