What increases my risk for complex regional pain syndrome?

Because most cases of complex regional pain syndrome are reported after a person undergoes some sort of trauma, having an injury or other trauma can increase your risk of getting the disorder. Some examples of trauma that result in complex regional pain syndrome include a heart attack that causes damage to the heart, as well as bullet wounds and other cases of extreme impact. However, even having a minor injury can put you at risk of developing the disorder. It seems to be three times as common in women, especially postmenopausal women.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

What is an inflammatory effect?
Your body doesn't just form allies or fight enemies based on how many calories a particular food has...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
How common is central pain syndrome?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Joint pain and stiffness can be prevented. Watch the video to see what you can do now to preserve fl...