What causes sacroilliac joint pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The SI joint or sacro-iliac joint is located in the pelvis where the sacrum and ilia meet. Many people suffering from pain in the back of the pelvis are told they have SI joint dysfunction. But what does this mean? The tensor fascia lata (TFL), rectus femoris, and sartorius muscles cause problems at this joint. They can become tight and rotate one side of the pelvis forward, which can cause shear at the SI joint. This happens because these three muscles are attached onto the ilium, not the sacrum. The ilium rotates forward a little more than the sacrum, which twists the SI joint. A relatively pronated foot may also be contributing to these issues, although this is rare.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

What is the prognosis for arachnoiditis?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Arachnoiditis appears to be a disorder that causes chronic pain and neurological deficits and does n...
When is neck or back pain a sign of a serious medical condition?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
On very rare occasions, neck or lower back pain can be a sign of a serious underlying medical co...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...