What is neuropathy?

Neuropathy is damage to the nerves. The three major forms of neuropathy in people with diabetes are peripheral neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and mononeuropathy. The most common form is peripheral neuropathy, which affects mainly the legs and feet.

Neuropathy is a condition that causes tingling or numbness in certain areas of the body, especially the hands and feet. Neuropathy is a common disorder that affects about 1 to 2 percent of Americans. It is a condition that occurs following damage to a single nerve or multiple nerves.

Neuropathy is the term for a range of disorders that affect the body's nerves, the electrical cables that transmit information between the brain, the spinal cord, and the rest of the body.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

When is neck or back pain a sign of a serious medical condition?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
On very rare occasions, neck or lower back pain can be a sign of a serious underlying medical co...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Joint pain and stiffness can be prevented. Watch the video to see what you can do now to preserve fl...
What is an inflammatory effect?
Your body doesn't just form allies or fight enemies based on how many calories a particular food has...