How does visceral pain differ from other types?

Visceral pain is much more difficult to stimulate than other types of pain, such as pain in the fingertips, which have the highest density of nociceptors. Visceral pain comes from the internal organs in the abdominal cavity; some have many nociceptors to feel pain (such as the stomach) and some do not (such as the liver). Generally speaking, nerves carrying pain signals from the internal organs have more specific and diverse criteria for activation than do skin nociceptors. And these do not respond to all stimuli the way other parts of the body do. The viscera generally don't respond to cutting, for example, but do register pain from stretching or compression. Visceral pain may also be felt in places other than the affected organ, a phenomenon known as referred pain.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...
How is inflammation of the pudendal nerve treated?
Juan P. Villablanca, MDJuan P. Villablanca, MD
Inflammation of the pudendal nerve (a main nerve in the pelvis) can be treated with an injection of ...
What is rebound tenderness?
Christina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DOChristina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DO
Rebound tenderness (also called the Blumberg Sign) is a nonspecific clinical sign that a doctor may ...