How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?

Aaron Nelson , NASM Elite Trainer
Sports Medicine Specialist

Prevention is the key to all injuries, chronic and acute. To prevent joint stiffness as you age, you should spend more time working on your flexibility (foam roll or static stretching) as well as maintaining strength in your large muscle groups. Eating healthier and maintaining a healthy weight will also decrease the load and work demand placed on joints. If your are active and play recreational sports, add more dynamic stretching prior to your workouts and follow up the activity with static stretching and/or foam roll exercises. Using heat prior to activity to warm up muscles and ice after activity to cool down muscle and joint inflammation will also help reduce joint stiffness and pain.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

what is the prognosis for arachnoiditis ?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Arachnoiditis appears to be a disorder that causes chronic pain and neurological deficits and does n...
what is rebound tenderness ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Rebound tenderness is a symptom of many diseases, including appendicitis. It can also indicate a twi...
how does peripheral neuropathy cause erectile dysfunction (ed ) ?
Peripheral neuropathy is damage to any of the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord. There are ma...
how common is central pain syndrome ?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...