How is psychogenic pain diagnosed?

A doctor might suspect psychogenic pain when a person complains of pain, but does not have a physical injury to support it. Therefore, a major part of the diagnosis has to be ruling out any other sources or causes of the initial pain before making the diagnosis of psychogenic pain. The individual is unable to describe the exact location of the pain and might also have difficulty describing the type of pain.

Dr. Marni Feuerman, LCSW, MFT
Marriage & Family Therapy
The diagnosis of psychogenic pain is made when other causes of pain are ruled out. A person with a pain disorder will complain of pain that does not match his or her symptoms. Medical doctors and mental health specialists working together are often most helpful to those with this disorder

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How can I prevent stiffness and pain in my joints as I get older?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
The number one way to prevent pain and stiffness in joints as you age is to stay active. If you don'...
How common is central pain syndrome?
It's hard to say how common central pain syndrome is because it's difficult to diagnose and can be c...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
How is inflammation of the pudendal nerve treated?
Juan P. Villablanca, MDJuan P. Villablanca, MD
Inflammation of the pudendal nerve (a main nerve in the pelvis) can be treated with an injection of ...