Can my family doctor treat my joint pain?

Joint pain is one of many symptoms that family doctors routinely assess and treat. Doctors who practice family medicine have a broad range of medical knowledge.

By asking you specific questions and doing an examination, your family doctor may be able to determine and treat the cause of your joint pain or may refer you to a specialist if necessary. Talk to your own family doctor about what is best for you.

Continue Learning about Pain Conditions

How do other illnesses affect central pain syndrome?
Central pain syndrome is not a condition without cause. It is the result of an illness or injury tha...
How is acceptance of chronic pain different from resignation to pain?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Don't confuse acceptance with resignation. Acceptance encourages you to make peace with your lim...
What is the prognosis for arachnoiditis?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Arachnoiditis appears to be a disorder that causes chronic pain and neurological deficits and does n...
What is rebound tenderness?
Christina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DOChristina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DO
Rebound tenderness (also called the Blumberg Sign) is a nonspecific clinical sign that a doctor may ...